Do you know what Target Laptop’s return policy is? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question.
Have you bought a personal computer, laptop, or notebook at Target, either in-store or online, and you’ve changed your mind, and want to return it? If so, you are probably wondering if the return policy is fair and is an easy process.
Target does take electronic items as returns, but the return window for electronics is shorter than Target’s standard 90-day return policy, and to ensure a successful and hassle-free return you’ll need to make sure that your item is unopened, and that you have a receipt or other proof of purchase.
In this article, I describe Target’s electronic items return policy, how you can return items if you’ve lost your sales receipt, and how you can return unwanted electronic items purchased in-store or online.
Table of Contents
Target is a department store chain with its headquarters based in Minneapolis, and is one of America’s largest retailers.
Target operates more than 1,900 stores across the USA and also has a big e-commerce operation. It has been estimated that three-quarters of the population of the USA lives within 10 miles of a target store. Around 35,000 people are employed by Target.
What is Target’s Return Policy for Computer and Laptop?
Most new and unopened laptop and computer can be returned to Target within 90 days to receive a full refund or an exchange. This also includes many items sold by Target Plus Partners. However, some items have a different return policy, including electronics which I’ll explain later.
Items that have been opened or are damaged, or do not have a sales receipt may be denied a refund or exchange.
There’s an easy way to check your Target in-store purchase return eligibility and return by date – on your receipt, you should see a barcode, the item description, and a return by date.
If the item you want to return is opened, used, or damaged, you may not be eligible for a return. In the case of a personal computer, laptop, or notebook this could mean that software has not been installed and registered and the operating system should be restored back to its factory settings.
What Are The Exceptions To Target’s 90-Day Return Policy?
There are a number of exceptions to Target’s standard 90-day return policy, the key relevant exceptions are as follows:
- Target-owned branded items with a receipt can be returned within one year for an exchange or a refund! This is quite an amazing return window but only applies to Target’s many own brands such as ‘Open Story’ (luggage), ‘Casaluna’ (bedding and bath items), and ‘Smith & Hawken’ (outdoor furniture).
- Target RedCard (debit and credit) purchases at Target have an additional 30 days to return most items.
- Purchases made at Optical, Pharmacy, Starbucks, and Target Tech must be returned or exchanged at these areas.
- Target does not accept international returns or exchanges.
- Electronics and entertainment items (excluding Apple products) must be returned or exchanged within 30 days.
- All Apple products (excluding mobile phones) must be returned/exchanged within 15 days. Apple phones need to be returned within 14 days.
- Electronics, entertainment items, and Apple products purchased between October 1st – December 25th have an extended return period, starting on December 26th.
How Do I Return A Computer or Laptop Purchased At A Target Store?
You may replace or return your item in-store at the Guest Services desk. You will need one of the following items to show proof of the original purchase:
- A valid receipt
- A return barcode that can be accessed in the Target app or on target.com for any purchases that are linked to your Target account.
- The payment credit or debit card is used to purchase the item so that the store staff can attempt a receipt lookup.
How Do I Return A Computer or Laptop Purchased Online?
You have two options here, you can either return your online purchase at a Target store, or by mail. If you can get to a store quickly and conveniently, an in-store return is going to be the easiest and quickest option.
If you’re returning the online item at a Target store you can follow exactly the same instructions as if you were returning an in-store purchased item at the store.
If you want to return your online purchase by mail, follow these instructions:
- Access your Target account at target.com or at the Target app
- View your online orders
- Locate the item you wish to return
- Select the ‘Return’ option to return your item
- Complete the refund or replacement request
- Target will provide a free return mailing label and instructions by email as well as on your order details page. You need to package up the returned item and any accessories in its original packaging and then attach the provided return label to the outside of the package. You can now drop your package off at any authorized UPS location.
Target Return Policy for Computer or Laptop Without A Receipt
Yes, you can, but you will need some other proof of purchase.
Firstly, you can check if you have a digital receipt. If you paid for an item in-store using a card associated with your Target account, or if you used your ‘Wallet’ in the Target app you should be able to find a receipt or a return barcode.
Other possible methods include:
- If you made an online purchase your delivery and shipping confirmation emails for your order should contain a barcode related to your purchase
- If you go to a store, Target staff can try and look up the receipt for both in-store and online purchases. Take the returned item and the original payment method used with you to the Guest Services desk within the return time limit. Target staff can usually locate purchase records associated with transactions made with Target RedCards, and third-party Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover credit cards
If you don’t have any form of proof of purchase, you may have to accept a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
How Is My Refund Processed?
Refunds are usually issued to the original payment method, or in many cases, you can opt for a Target gift card. However, there are a few exceptions:
- Items purchased using PayPal will be refunded as a Target e-gift card for mail returns, or cash for in-store returns
- Items paid using a check will be refunded as a merchandise return card for checks that haven’t cleared, or cash if the return is made ten days after the date of purchase
If you’re returning something at a store, but you don’t have the original receipt or the return barcode, you may receive a merchandise return card instead of a direct refund. Note that this merchandise return card can only be redeemed at Target stores, not online.
Refunds to a Target RedCard typically take up to two days after Target has approved the refund. Refunds to a third-party credit card typically take up to five days after Target has approved the refund.
For items returned by mail, Target will first inspect and process the return, and it could take seven to ten business days after receiving the return before the refund is processed.
Target has a generous general return policy of 90 days. However, electronic items such as personal computers, laptops, and notebooks must be returned within 30 days (or 15 days for Apple products, except Apple phones which must be returned within 14 days).
To ensure a fully successful return you’ll need to make sure that your return item is unused, is unopened, and that you have a receipt or another form of proof of purchase.
Target staff can often find purchase transactions made with a wide variety of bank cards.
Returns can be made either in a Target store or by mail. In-store returns will be easier and quicker.
In most cases, you will receive your refund with the same method of payment used for the original purchase.
Do you know what Best Buy return policy in Canada is? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question. When you are ready to purchase a brand new laptop, Best Buy is...
Do you know what Target's return policy for online orders is? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question. Target has a return policy that applies to both online and...