Lindsey, do you know what is Target’s return policy after Christmas? This is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered.
Target is the second-largest discount retailer in the world. 75% of the U.S. population lives within 10 miles of a Target store. Target earned $93.6 billion in revenue in 2020.
With those mind-boggling numbers, it’s no wonder Target requires a streamlined, efficient return policy, especially during Christmas, when sales volume swells.
So, what is Target’s return policy after Christmas? Target’s return policy after Christmas is largely unchanged from its usual, 90-day return policy. The main difference is an extended window of time to make returns for products that normally have a shorter return window. According to Target’s return policy, “Electronics and entertainment items and Apple products purchased Oct. 1-Dec. 25 have an extended return period, which starts on Dec. 26.”
Learn more about the ins and outs of Target’s return policy, including holiday returns, in this post.
Target’s return policy after Christmas
For most in-store and online purchases, Target offers a 90-day return policy on new, unopened items. However, there are some items that have a shorter window of time to make a return.
Some items have a 30-day window, some have a 15-day window, and some have a 14-day window. How does this change over Christmas?
Any item purchased over the Christmas holiday (considered from Oct.1st through Dec. 25th), begin their return window Dec 26th. That means 14-day items have until Jan. 9th to be returned, 15-day items have until Jan. 10th, and 30-day items have until Jan. 23rd to be returned.
This gives people a little extra time to return their gifts or purchases over the busy holiday season.
Target PlusTM Partner’s after Christmas return policy
Target Plus partners are third-party vendors that sell items through Target.com and the Target app. Most items purchased through Target Plus have a 90-day return window for new, unopened products (with some exceptions).
Some Target Plus products may have “modified” after Christmas return policies. In that case, you can check on the holiday return policy of an item by going to that item on Target.com.
Can I return a Christmas gift bought at Target? Do I have to have a receipt?
Yes, you can return a gift bought at Target. You can return a gift by either going to a Target store or returning it through the mail.
To return a gift to a store, bring the item along with the gift receipt or packing slip to Target Guest Services. You’ll receive a refund in the form of a Target GiftCard.
If you don’t have the gift receipt or packing slip, you may receive a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
To return a gift through the mail, contact Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.
Do I have to have a receipt to return an item bought at Target?
You do not have to have a receipt to return an item purchased at Target. Target offers a few ways you can submit a proof a purchase to start the return process without a receipt:
- From your Target account, you can access item barcodes and receipts for both online and in-store purchases. However, in-store purchases are tracked only if you bought them with a credit card associated with your account.
- If you ordered your item online, search for your confirmation emails and locate the item’s barcode on the emails. You should have received confirmation emails when the item shipped and when it delivered.
- You can attempt to look up the proof of purchase in store. Bring the item and the method used to pay for it to Guest Services. Guest Services can look up receipts on payments made with a Target RedCard, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- If none of these methods are available (item barcodes, receipts, packing slips), you may still be eligible for a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
Which items purchased at Target have shorter return windows?
There are a few exceptions to the 90-day return window that Target offers. Some products are required to be returned within 14 days, some have to be returned within 15 days, and some have to be returned within 30 days in order to be eligible for a refund or exchange.
- 14 day return window: Mobile phones purchased in-store or online via Order Pick-Up.
- 15 day return window: Apple products, excluding mobile phones.
- 30 day return window: Electronics and entertainment items, excluding Apple products.
A couple other exceptions to the 90 day return window include:
- An 30 extra days to your return window if you paid with a Target RedCard.
- A one-year return window on Target branded items.
Finally, there are a few items that Target can’t accept as returns, or are only eligible for exchanges. These include personalized items, specialty gift cards, opened or defective collectibles, opened or unsealed breast pumps, or opened air beds. For a complete list check here.
How do I return an item purchased at Target?
To return an item purchased at a Target store:
Take the new, undamaged item, along with proof-of-purchase (receipt, digital barcode, email confirmation, gift receipt, packing slip) to any Target Guest Services counter.
They will guide you through the return process. If you don’t have a proof-of-purchase, you may receive a merchandise return card.
To return an item purchased at Target.com:
You can return items purchased at Target.com either by going to the store or by mailing it in using Target’s online return center.
Either way, start the return process by going to your account either through Target.com or the Target app.
- In your Target account, select “Orders” on Target.com or “Purchases” on your Target app.
- Locate and select your order that contains the item you want to return.
- Select “Return an Item.”
- Select either “Return to Store” or “Return by Mail”
If you select “Return to Store”, you’ll get a barcode. Take the barcode and the item to Guest Services at any Target store.
If you select “Return by Mail”, you’ll need to complete a few more steps:
- Select a “Return Reason” from the drop-down menu, then select “Continue”.
- Select either “Replace Item” or “Refund Item”, then select Continue”
- Select “Shipping Address”, then select “Submit”
- You will be prompted to print a mailing label.
- Package the item with its original packaging and any accessories it came with, apply the mailing label to the package, and drop the package off at any authorized UPS location.
Here are some of my favorite services, products, and Stores
There are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I´ll earn a small commission. But in all honesty, these are the exact what I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.
To see all my of most up-to-date recommendations, check out this resource that I made for you!
+ Products & Services
+ Convenience Stores
+ Save Thousands of Dollars
Do you know if Target takes or accepts EBT online? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. There are a lot of benefits to shopping at Target, from free...
Does Trader Joe's Sell Gift Cards (Target, Balance, Walgreens, CVS, Online, Amazon)
Have you ever wondered if Trader Joe´s also sells gift cards? Look no more. We´ve got you covered. Trader Joe’s has only been around for a little over a half-century, but that hasn’t stopped...