When it comes to high-priced, high quality items of apparel like jewelry, Louis Vuitton is a well-known name with a corresponding price tag.
When making an investment in Louis Vuitton jewelry, it’s common to wonder about certain maintenance issues, like tarnishing.
Louis Vuitton jewelry wears well, but how much tarnish it might experience and how much maintenance it needs varies between whether you’re wearing Louis Vuitton fine jewelry and Louis Vuitton fashion jewelry.
Here we’ll look at the ins and outs of Louis Vuitton Jewelry.
Does Louis Vuitton Jewelry Tarnish?
Louis Vuitton jewelry is an investment, but how well it wears over time depends on whether you’re purchasing from their line of fashion jewelry or their line of fine jewelry.
Fine jewelry is made out of high quality metals like 18 karat gold, which doesn’t tarnish, though it may need to be cleaned from time to time.
Fashion jewelry is made out of lower priced metals and alloys, which makes them more affordable, but also somewhat more likely to tarnish over time.
Read also >> Louis Vuitton Return Policy (In Depth Guide)
Does Louis Vuitton Fashion Jewelry Tarnish?
Louis Vuitton fashion jewelry is made of more affordable metals and stones. Official appraisers often identify it as plated jewelry, which can tarnish over time.
To prevent tarnishing, there are some things that you can do to help it maintain its shine:
– Do not wear during workouts
– Take off before showering or bathing
– Do not wear while putting on perfume or skin care products.
Limited exposure to moisture and chemicals will help keep your fashion jewelry in good condition. With proper care, these items can last several years, even a decade or more without showing any tarnish.
What Metals Are Used in Louis Vuitton Fashion Jewelry?
Most of the Louis Vuitton fashion jewelry is described as ‘gold-colored’ or ‘silver-colored’ jewelry.
Designers and Sales Associates who handle jewelry claim this descriptor indicates brass or silver-type alloy, which is then gold or silver plated, or gold finished.
The plating or finish is meant to be resistant to wear and tear, but if it’s worn away, the brass or alloy may tarnish once it’s exposed.
What Type Of Stones Are Used?
Most Louis Vuitton fashion jewelry is plain metal, or monogrammed.
For items with stones, the stones are described as ‘crystal’, which is a generic name for many stones, other than precious and semi-precious stones.
Does Louis Vuitton Fine Jewelry Tarnish?
In general, Louis Vuitton fine jewelry doesn’t tarnish much, if at all, over years of wear. It does, however, require care and cleaning to maintain its best appearance.
The biggest part of the resistance to tarnishing lies in the metals used to create the different designs and collections presented by Louis Vuitton.
What Metals Are Used In Louis Vuitton Fine Jewelry?
Louis Vuitton fine jewelry uses a variety of precious metals in their construction.
All of their rose/pink gold, white gold, and yellow gold is all made with 18 karat gold.
– That’s 75 percent gold in a gold alloy that usually has silver and, in the case of rose gold, copper.
The platinum is listed as 950 platinum, which is 95% pure platinum.
They also have black and natural titanium.
The silver is listed as sterling silver or recycled sterling silver
– Both of these are reported to be 925 silver, which means 92.5% pure silver with a 7.5% alloy.
– Recycled Silver is recycled through a process that retains the percentage of silver from the original items to the new pieces.
How Do I Prevent Louis Vuitton Fashion Jewelry From Looking Tarnished?
Fashion jewelry from any brand, including Louis Vuitton, requires certain steps to maintain its shine.
– For a start, it’s a good idea to keep it away from liquids. Keep your fashion jewelry dry, and keep it away from harsh chemicals or things like:
- House Cleaning Products
– Keep it from catching on fibers by putting it on last, after you’ve finished dressing, and taking it off first, before you start undressing,
– Take it off during serious physical activity or hands-on projects.
– Store it in a dry, secure location that’s sealed against moisture or exposure. If possible, wrap it in an eyeglass cleaning cloth to help prevent oxidation.
– Most important, clean it properly.
How Should I Clean Fashion Jewelry?
Because fashion jewelry is brass or metal alloy plated or finished with precious metals instead of made entirely with them, it can actually be damaged if cleaned using fine jewelry cleaners.
For a quick and easy clean, a little bit of warm water and dish soap can be used and applied with a toothbrush to do maintenance cleaning.
– You can also add baking soda to the mix for a little bit of extra shine.
– Be sure to clean and allow it to dry thoroughly.
For a little more polish or deeper clean, you can fill a glass with water, and add lemon juice and salt.
– Allow to soak for a few minutes, then pull out and dry thoroughly (especially ‘gold colored’ or brass)
How Do I Prevent Louis Vuitton Fine Jewelry From Looking Tarnished?
To care for fine jewelry, there’s a number of things you can do.
– Keep it away from harsh chemicals that can affect the color.
– Keep it away from oil-based products and make-up that may cling and dull the shine
– Store in a safe, secure place: use of a jewelry bag can help, but you may also want to wrap it in an eyeglass cleaning cloth for a little bit of extra protection from the elements
– Clean it properly
How Should I Clean Fine Jewelry?
You can definitely use the recommended commercial cleaners for silver and gold and other precious metals. However, that doesn’t have to be the only method you use.
Silver For Example:
– Lay your jewelry out on a sheet of tin foil
– Sprinkle baking soda over your items
– Pour boiling water over it.
– Flip, repeat, and dry.
Gold Can Be Cleaned With:
– Boiling water and a soft-bristle toothbrush
– A 20 minute soak in white vinegar and a soft-bristle toothbrush.
James Allen is the leader in online diamond sales. Their imaging technology is the same as inspecting a diamond with a jeweler's loupe. They have the largest exclusive loose diamond inventory online and fantastic prices.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT THEM:
- No questions asked returns within 30 days of shipment. James Allen will send you a paid shipping label to return the ring.
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free International Shipping
- Free prong tightening, repolishing, rhodium plating and cleaning every 6 months
- Provide insurance appraisals
- One free resizing within 60 days of purchase
- Free ring inscriptions
- Best-in-class high quality imagery of all diamonds in stock
- 24/7 Customer Service
- Best-in-class packaging
Louis Vuitton jewelry, whether it’s fashion jewelry or fine jewelry, can last with a minimum of tarnish and loss of shine. As long as it’s cared for correctly, it will remain untarnished for years to come.
Sterling silver will tarnish when it comes into contact with sweat, amongst other things. A number of things can make sterling silver jewelry tarnish, including natural body oils and lotions....
Lindsey, do you know if I can return my Louis Vuitton bag? This is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. If you bought something from Louis Vuitton that...