Have you ever asked yourself or your friend if I can return an opened or unopened item to Target without a receipt? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question.
Target is the second-largest discount retailer in the world. 75% of the U.S. population lives within 10 miles of a Target store. Target earned $93.6 billion in revenue in 2020.
With those mind-boggling numbers, Target requires a streamlined, efficient return policy.
So, can I return an unopened or opened item to Target without a receipt? Yes, Target’s return policy will let you return an item purchased either within their stores or at Target.com within 90 days, with or without a receipt. Target will accept other types of proof-of-purchase besides receipts to process a return. If you can’t locate any type of proof-of-purchase, you may still be eligible for a Target Merchandise Return Card credit that you can redeem in store.
In this post we’ll delve deep into Target’s return policy, including how to make a return without a receipt.
Do I have to have a receipt to return an item bought at Target?
You do not have to have a receipt to return an item purchased at Target, and Target offers a few ways you can submit a proof a purchase to start the return process without a receipt:
- If you have a Target account, item barcodes and receipts can be accessed from your account for both online and in-store purchases. However, in-store purchases are tracked only if you bought them with a credit card associated with your account.
- If you ordered your item online, search for your confirmation emails and locate the item’s barcode on the email. You should receive confirmation emails when the item ships and when it delivers.
- You can attempt to look up the proof of purchase in store. Bring the item and the method used to pay for it to Guest Services. Guest Services can look up receipts on payments made with a Target RedCard, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- If none of these methods are available (item barcodes, receipts, packing slips), you may still be eligible for a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
Read also: Target Return Policy after 90 Days? (Secrets Nobody Is Talking About)
Can I return a gift bought at Target? Do I have to have a receipt?
Yes, you can return a gift bought at Target. You can return a gift by either going to a Target store or returning it through the mail.
To return a gift to a store, bring the item along with the gift receipt or packing slip to a Target Guest Services.
You’ll receive a refund in the form of a Target GiftCard. If you don’t have the gift receipt or packing slip, you may receive a refund in the form of a merchandise return card.
To return a gift through the mail, contact Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.
Which items purchased at Target have shorter return windows?
There are a few exceptions to the 90-day return window that Target offers.
Some products are required to be returned within 14 days, some have to be returned within 15 days, and some have to be returned within 30 days in order to be eligible for a refund or exchange.
- 14 day return window: Mobile phones purchased in-store or online via Order Pick-Up.
- 15 day return window: Apple products, excluding mobile phones.
- 30 day return window: Electronics and entertainment items, excluding Apple products.
A couple other exceptions to the 90 day return window include:
- An 30 extra days to your return window if you paid with a Target RedCard.
- A one-year return window on Target branded items.
Finally, there are a few items that Target can’t accept as returns, or are only eligible for exchanges. These include personalized items, specialty gift cards, opened or defective collectibles, opened or unsealed breast pumps, or opened air beds. For a complete list check here.
Read also: What Is Target Return Policy with No Receipt? (Secrets You´ll Never Imagine)
How do I return an item purchased at Target?
To return an item purchased at a Target store:
Take the new, undamaged item, along with proof-of-purchase (receipt, digital barcode, email confirmation, gift receipt, packing slip) to any Target Guest Services counter.
They will guide you through the return process. If you don’t have a proof-of-purchase, you may receive a merchandise return card.
To return an item purchased at Target.com:
You can return items purchased at Target.com either by going to the store or by mailing it in using Target’s online return center.
Either way, you start the return process by going to your account either through Target.com or the Target app.
- In your Target account, select “Orders” on Target.com or “Purchases” on your Target app.
- Locate and select your order that contains the item you want to return.
- Select “Return an Item.”
- Select either “Return to Store” or “Return by Mail”
If you select “Return to Store”, you’ll get a barcode. Take the barcode and the item to any Target store, and go to Guest Services.
If you select “Return by Mail”, you’ll need to complete a few more steps:
- Select a “Return Reason” from the drop-down menu, then select “Continue”.
- Select either “Replace Item” or “Refund Item”, then select Continue”
- Select “Shipping Address”, then select “Submit”
- You will be prompted to print a mailing label.
- Package the item with its original packaging and any accessories it came with, apply the mailing label to the package, and drop the package off at any authorized UPS location.
Here are some of my favorite services, products, and Stores
There are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I´ll earn a small commission. But in all honesty, these are the exact what I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.
To see all my of most up-to-date recommendations, check out this resource that I made for you!
+ Products & Services
+ Convenience Stores
+ Save Thousands of Dollars
What Is Target Return Policy with No Receipt? (Secrets You´ll Never Imagine)
Do you know what Target return policy with no receipt is? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Target has long played second fiddle to industry giants...
What is Target’s Return Policy After Christmas? (Secrets Nobody Is Talking About)
Lindsey, do you know what is Target's return policy after Christmas? This is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Target is the second-largest discount...