Have you ever asked yourself or your friend if Target accepts EBT cash? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question.
Yes, Target currently accepts EBT cash in all of its 1900 stores, although there are some limits as to what you can spend it on. As EBT cash is part of a federal benefit program, there are restrictions on what you can purchase in stores like Target, but it should be accepted as a form of payment for necessities like food, clothing, and hygiene products.
In the rest of this article, we cover in more detail whether Target accepts EBT cash, looking at some of the things you can use it for, the restrictions of purchases, and some of the pros and cons.
Table of Contents
Does Target accept EBT cash?
Target should accept EBT cash as a form of payment in any of its 1900 stores throughout the country.
As with any benefits program, there are certain items that are off limits for payment with EBT cash and it is instead intended to be used to purchase necessities for the household, such as food items, clothing, and cleaning products.
EBT cash is given through an EBT card, which can also be used to make purchases and is accepted in all Target stores.
The card is typically more restricted in terms of what it can be used to purchase and many people find they have a little more freedom when they withdraw the cash and use it that way.
EBT cash can be accessed through most ATMs, although you should be aware that some charge a fee for withdrawal.
Once you have the cash withdrawn, it is used like any other physical money. The only difference is that you should bear in mind the purchase restrictions that come with the program.
What is EBT cash?
EBT cash is a cash benefit paid into something called an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) account. It is usually given as part of a benefit program like State General Assistance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, and Refugee Cash Assistance.
As with most benefit programs, there are rules around who can receive EBT and what it can be spent on.
Most EBT benefit programs are intended to help provide support for families on a lower income or in financial need. Many individuals find themselves in financial difficulty and needing a little extra support, possibly due to a very low income or a change in situation.
EBT cash can be a lifeline to those people in times of need.
As with anything, different states will have their own rules and regulations around what EBT cash should be used for.
However, most states typically require the cash to be spent on basic living expenses and necessities to ensure the welfare of the household, particularly children and vulnerable people.
What can you purchase with EBT cash?
EBT cash is restricted in what it can be used to purchase and the purchases you do make should be used for the welfare of the household in some way.
Typically, this means food, shelter, and hygiene products, although what you are able to purchase will depend on where you shop.
So, we have discussed that Target accepts EBT cash in its stores, but does this mean that you can purchase whatever you like? If you stay within the rules of what is allowed, the things you are able to buy in Target using EBT cash are strictly limited.
Let’s look at some of the items you might decide to purchase in Target using your EBT cash:
- Food items
- Household items like hygiene and cleaning products
- Medical supplies, like a first aid kit or medicine
- Clothing items, including shoes.
What can you not purchase with EBT cash?
Given that the EBT program is a benefit program, it cannot be used to purchase anything you wish to buy. The restrictions on what you can and cannot purchase differ depending on the state’s own rules and regulations.
However, there are some rules which apply across most states.
So far, we have seen that you are somewhat limited in terms of the items you can use your EBT cash to purchase.
But how does this apply to the things you might want to purchase in Target? Let’s look at some of the items you might purchase in Target that cannot be paid for using EBT cash:
- Alcohol, including imitation alcohol
- Any form of tobacco, including cigarettes
- Gambling, including lottery tickets and scratch cards
- Anything items which you have to be over 18 to purchase.
Pros and Cons of EBT cash
- One of the main advantages and the main purpose of EBT cash is that it can be used to help with purchasing necessities for the household. For anyone on a low income or in financial difficulty, this kind of help can be a massive support in providing basic living necessities for the household.
- Another advantage of EBT cash is that it can be accessed very easily in most places. Most Target stores should have an ATM in store, which can be used to easily access and withdraw funds from your EBT card.
- One of the downsides of using EBT cash instead of purchasing items using your EBT card is that some ATMs can charge a fee for withdrawing EBT cash. Although most Target ATMs should be fee-free, this may not be the case if you withdraw the money elsewhere.
- Unfortunately, you are limited in what you can purchase using EBT cash. If you are looking to purchase necessities alone, this is unlikely to be a problem for you. However, if you need to purchase anything else, you will have to put your own money to cover the cost.
Target accepts EBT cash as a valid form of payment in all of its 1900 stores across the country. EBT cash can be used in Target to pay for basic living necessities like food, hygiene and cleaning products, and clothing.
Although there are restrictions on what can be used to purchase, it can be a lifeline for purchasing necessities in stores like Target.
Here are some of my favorite services, products, and Stores
There are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I´ll earn a small commission. But in all honesty, these are the exact what I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.
To see all my of most up-to-date recommendations, check out this resource that I made for you!
Do you know if Target accepts EBT cards? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Yes, Target accepts EBT cards. Although there are certain restrictions on...
Do you know if Target accepts EBT for drive up? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Groceries can be ordered from Target and selected for pickup via...