If you’ve been looking to buy some baby formula then you’ve no doubt seen all of the Similac products that are on the market, but who actually makes it, and is it any good?
Similac baby formula was originally made by the Moores and Ross Dairy Company. The formula itself was developed by a man named Alfred Bosworth and marketed to Abbott Laboratories, who the country has since merged with.
Read ahead to find out more about where Similac actually comes from, and how good this baby formula really is.
What Company Makes Similac Baby Formula?
Similac is now the full name of the company that produces their baby formula, although it started life as just a brand name under a different company title.
The Moores and Ross Milk Company was founded in 1903, bottling milk for home delivery. Twenty years later, the company worked with Abbott Laboratories and a chemist from Tufts University named Alfred Bosworth to create their first infant formula.
It was originally named “Franklin Infant Food” but would soon change its name to Similac.
Since then, the company has changed significantly. In 1928 they changed direction to focus all their efforts on infant milk, and in 1964 they merged with Abbott Laboratories to become closer to the company as it is known today.
Read also >> Who Makes Mamia Baby Formula (Are They Good? Quality + More)
Is Similac Baby Formula Good?
Similac baby formula is certainly a very well-known brand, and it is very popular in the United States and the other 95 countries in which it is sold, but is it considered to be a good product?
In general, Similac is considered to make high-quality formula, and they are actually the number 1 pediatrician recommended brand in the US for immune support.
Similac is also often used as the formula of choice in many hospitals and all of their formula meets FDA requirements.
Whatever formula you might be considering, it is always important that you consult with your pediatrician, as your child might have specific needs that you should be aware of.
Is Similac Baby Formula Well Reviewed?
There are many reasons why Similac receives a lot of positive reviews. They have a diverse range of products that includes dairy-free, hypoallergenic, GMO-free, and lactose-free products.
In fact, Similac often comes up at the top of the list when it comes to the best overall baby formula on the market today.
What Benefits Do You Get from Similac Baby Formula?
Depending on the specific product that you choose, there are a lot of health benefits to the different formulas that Similac offers.
All of their formulas contain a special OptiGRO blend that includes:
- Omega-3 DHA – for brain and eye development
- Lutein – an antioxidant that supports eye development
- Vitamin E – protects cells and tissues from damage
There are no added sugars in Similac’s products, and they have options that contain other beneficial ingredients as well, like:
- Vitamin K – for bone metabolism
- Linoleic acid – promotes growth and development
- Prebiotics – supports gut health and the immune system
- Choline – a nutrient that helps the metabolism
Read also >> Who Makes Kirkland Formula (Baby, Infant)
Have Similac Products Ever Been Recalled?
In 2022, there were reports of bacterial infections in four infants who had consumed formula made in a particular Abbott Nutrition facility in Sturgis, Michigan.
This led to Abbott voluntarily recalling some products, which were taken off the shelves and were advised not to be used.
The full list of products recalled included Similac, Alimentum, and EleCare powdered infant formula that had a lot code on the bottom where:
- the first two digits of the code are 22 through 37; and
- the code on the container contains K8, SH or Z2; and
- the expiration date is 4-1-2022 (APR 2022) or later.
This is a rare occurrence, however, and almost no Similac products have ever been recalled or considered unsafe before.
What Other Brands Does Similac Own?
You might have seen other Similac products on the shelves without realizing it. Although most of their formulas are sold under the name “Similac”, they do have two separate brands that they also produce.
Go & Grow Infant Formula and Pure Bliss are Similac’s lines of formulas aimed at toddler-aged children (12-36 months), and MomCare is a nutritional shake that the company makes for prenatal and postnatal care.
What Products Do Similac Make?
The range at Similac is really diverse, with over 60 different products that you can currently find on their website. Among the different formulas that you Similac make, you can buy:
- Similac Advance Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac Pro-Sensitive Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac Pro-Total Comfort Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac 360 Total Care Sensitive Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac Soy Isomil Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac Pro-Advance Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Similac For Sit-Up Easy-to-Digest Infant Formula (ready-to-feed bottle)
- Similac NeoSure Infant Formula, for Babies Born Prematurely (ready-to-feed bottle or powder)
- Go & Grow by Similac Toddler Drink (powder)
- Go & Grow Sensitive by Similac Toddler Drink (powder)
- Pure Bliss by Similac Toddler Drink (powder)
Prenatal and Postnatal
- MomCare by Similac Prenatal Nutrition Shake
- MomCare by Similac Prenatal & Postnatal Nutrition Shake
The company is actually around 100 years old, and they made their start in regular bottled milk before their infant formula was developed in the 1920s.
Since then, Similac has merged with Abbott Laboratories, making their products in the United States and shipping to 96 countries around the world.
Overall, Similac is a very well-respected name in the formula industry, and they are highly rated by pediatricians and consumers alike.
They certainly offer a lot of high-quality options and cover the needs of almost any new parent.
Who Makes Mamia Baby Formula (Are They Good? Quality + More)
Mamia Baby Formula is a very promising offering by Aldi. Parents of newborns know how difficult it can be to find a good baby formula that provides adequate nutrition for babies, goes easy on their...
Have you ever asked yourself or your friend if Target accepts EBT for formula or for baby food? Well, you are at the perfect place to find the answer to such a question. Yes, Target currently...