Do you know what Instacart alcohol delivery rules or policies are? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered.
Instacart’s grocery pickup and delivery service started in 2012, but it’s only in the past few years that the company has grown in popularity.
For the past couple of years, Instacart has been expanding its delivery service by adding alcohol orders to the mix.
However, there are stipulations applied to alcohol delivery through the app. Not everyone across Instacart’s customer base can get alcohol delivered to their homes.
So, what are Instacart alcohol delivery rules? Here listed below you can find the main commons Instacart alcohol delivery rules or policy which included:
• The customer must be at least 21 years old at the time of delivery.
• The customer must be able to present a valid photo ID at the time of delivery.
• You must live in a state where alcohol delivery is actually legal.
• You must return and refund alcohol if the customer doesn’t meet the requirements.
• You can’t just leave the delivery on the doorstep – the customer who bought it must receive it.
• You can’t leave alcohol delivery orders with visibly intoxicated customers.
• If you’re accepting a green card as a form of ID, you must manually enter the ID information into the app.
Other rules apply, such as rules for Instacart delivery drivers themselves, which we’ll cover in this article.
Find out the requirements for Instacart’s alcohol delivery service below.
We’ll explain them in detail.
Table of Contents
Rules for Instacart Alcohol Delivery Services
Instacart’s alcohol delivery service add-on has been around since 2019 when the company expanded its grocery order eligibility to include beer, wine, and spirits.
They started the service by offering it in 14 different states, but coverage has expanded over the past couple of years.
Customers can order alcohol from one of Instacart’s many (more than 300 retail partners), so long as the store supplies the product.
This service proves to be an incredibly popular and convenient option for those with busy schedules and/or a lack of ability to drive.
Although this service is an enticing option, note that there are some requirements you must meet, whether you are the customer or the Instacart delivery driver.
Customer Delivery Rules
Customers who want to take advantage of alcohol delivery should first take heed of the rules applied.
Don’t expect this service to be a loophole to the national laws that dictate the legal drinking and alcohol purchasing age.
You can’t outsmart Instacart, and drivers have rules to only give customers their alcohol purchases if they meet the following upon delivery:
- You must be at least 21 years old at the time of delivery.
- You must be able to present a valid photo ID at the time of delivery, verifying your legal age, which the driver will have to scan to verify as legitimate.
- You must live in a state where alcohol delivery is actually legal.
In terms of your valid photo ID, you have a few options that you can present. Acceptable options include state-issued ID cards, US-issued photo driver’s licenses, and US-issued military ID cards.
You can also present a US-issued passport as a form of ID, as long as you don’t live in California and aren’t ordering from Costco or
Further, you can present a green card as your proof of ID, except for Costco or
Shopper and Delivery Driver Rules
Just as customers must meet the legal and company requirements to receive their alcohol delivery orders, Instacart shoppers must also meet the requirements.
Among these requirements are the following rules:
- You can only deliver to customers that are at least 21 years old (it’s your job to check and scan the customer’s photo ID).
- You must return and refund alcohol if the customer doesn’t meet the requirements.
- You can’t just leave the delivery on the doorstep – the customer who bought it must receive it.
- You can’t leave alcohol delivery orders with visibly intoxicated customers.
- If you’re delivering in California or delivering for Costco or
Walmartorders, you can’t manually enter the ID information into the app.
- If you’re accepting a green card as a form of ID, you must manually enter the ID information into the app.
States Where Instacart Approves Alcohol Delivery
Officially, and according to Instacart’s blog, they offer alcohol delivery services to 14 different states and/or territories across the United States.
These include Missouri, Kentucky, California, Connecticut, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, Ohio, and Washington, D.C.
However, the service has expanded over the years, and other states, such as West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and others, also allow alcohol delivery.
If your state is not included in the above list, be sure to add your address on Instacart and see if alcohol products are eligible for your delivery order.
Also, note that some towns are “dry”, meaning you legally can’t purchase alcohol there.
Instacart Alcohol Delivery Tips
In order to ensure your Instacart alcohol order delivery goes smoothly, there are a few things you can keep in mind. Firstly, make sure that you meet all the requirements before placing an order.
Don’t even try to order alcohol via Instacart if you aren’t 21 years old or don’t have an ID to prove it. If your order gets refunded, you may still have to pay delivery fees and/or the tip.
Second, plan ahead with your order so that you can ensure you’ll be home to receive the delivery person and show your ID.
If you aren’t at home when they show up, you won’t get your order. Luckily, Instacart’s app has a tracking system that shows you when the driver is on the way and how close they are.
Finally, prepare for certain items to be out of stock, and have an alcohol replacement in mind.
If your chosen alcoholic product is out of stock, you can only replace it in the order with another alcoholic product.
Instacart allows alcohol delivery in certain states across the nation.
If you plan to order alcohol for delivery, you must be at least 21 years old, able to show a valid ID upon delivery and meet their other delivery requirements.
This service is convenient, but you must prepare for the driver to arrive at your doorstep.
Do you know if Instacart delivers alcohol in Georgia? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Georgia’s residents have been longing for the ability to...
Do you know if Instacart accepts or takes EBT cards? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered. Instacart has grown in popularity in the past several...