How To Get a Title For a Camper Without Title In Wisconsin (Step By Step)

How To Get a Title For a Camper Without Title In Wisconsin

Have you ever wondered how to get a title for a camper without title in Wisconsin? Look no more. We´ve got you covered.

If you hope to purchase or sell a recreational vehicle (RV) or camper in Wisconsin, you will need to make sure to have the title for the camper. The title can prove that you own the camper so you can register it and legally take it on the road.

So, how to get a title for a camper without a title in Wisconsin? Wisconsin allows you to mail in an application or complete the process online, depending on what will work best for you. However, if you find that the title for your camper is missing, you can apply to get a replacement title. It is crucial to do this before buying or selling your camper, as this step makes the sale legal.

How to Get a Replacement Title in Wisconsin?

One of the most common reasons that a camper does not have a trailer is if the title has been lost or destroyed. This can happen when you move houses or if there are natural disasters like floods or fires.

Luckily, you can apply for a replacement title without much trouble through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (DOT).

There are two ways to apply for a replacement title in Wisconsin. You can either apply online or you can mail in an application.

Applying for a Replacement Title Online

Applying for a replacement title online is a simple process. As long as you are the owner (not your business, but rather you as an individual), you can complete the entire process online.

Simply complete the application found on the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s website.

Before you begin the application, you will want to collect a few necessary items to keep everything running smoothly. You will need:

  • A credit or debit card to pay the fees for a replacement title. You can also use Automated Clearing House (ACH) payments through the bank of your choice. You should expect this to cost $20. If you are using a credit or debit card to pay your fee, you can also expect a small convenience charge.
  • A valid e-mail address. This should be an e-mail address for which you have the password and necessary information to check regularly.
  • Your Wisconsin Driver’s License. You can also provide an identification card number.
  • The last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Your camper’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Once you have completed your application, you will likely receive your new title within 7 to 14 days.

Applying for a Replacement Title Through the Mail

If you prefer to mail in an application rather than completing the online process, you can also request a replacement title with that method.

To complete an application through the mail:

1. Compete the Replacement Title Application.

2. Mail the Replacement Title Application and the $20 fee to the Wisconsin State Department of Transportation.

If you would not like to mail money and instead pay with a card, you can bring your completed application to your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

You may be charged a $5 counter service fee if you pay with a card this way.

Read also: Do Pop-Up Campers Have Titles in Wisconsin? (All Facts)

Information for the Replacement Title Application

You must fill out the replacement title application with all of the relevant information you can. Do not guess on anything as that can slow down the processing time.

Before you start filling out the application, it can be helpful to gather pertinent information. You should know:

  • The full name of the camper’s owner
  • The owner’s social security number or driver’s license number
  • The camper’s vehicle identification number
  • The license plate number of the camper
  • The make, model, and year of the camper
  • Information about loans or liens that apply to the camper

Applying for a Surety Bonded Title

It is always simpler to buy a camper that already has a title. This helps make the sale legally binding and helps cut down on paperwork.

However, sometimes, this is not an option. In those cases, if you have already purchased a camper that does not have a title, you can apply for a bonded title.

Surety bonded titles involve you putting down money to account for the value of the camper in the case that valid ownership cannot be proven.

To apply for a Surety bonded title in Wisconsin:

1. Complete an Application for Bonded Certificate of Title for a Vehicle. The application can be found on this website.

2. Complete a Wisconsin Title; License Plate Application form. You can find the form on this website.

3. Check your mail for a letter requesting a surety bond and specifying the amount. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation will have confirmed previous ownership of the camper and estimated its value. That will affect the amount they request in the bond.

4. Send the surety bond to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

5. Receive your surety bonded title.

6. After five years, if you wish to have the surety bond brand removed from your title, you will receive a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation explaining that process.

Do Campers Need License Plates in Wisconsin?

Campers do need license plates in Wisconsin. The only exception can be small pop-up campers (under 3000 pounds). However, if you ever plan on going out of state with those campers, you are safer obtaining a license plate.

When driving a camper or camper trailer you will also need to make sure that it has:

  • Functioning taillights
  • A white light that illuminates the license plate
  • Turn signals
  • Mudflaps on the rear wheels
  • Brake lights

What is a Vehicle Title?

The title for a vehicle title or trailer is a legal document that proves who owns the vehicle. Titles are usually issued through the Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Transportation for a particular state.

Rules for titles can change depending on the state in which you live.

The information on the title will also vary by state. In general, though, you can expect the vehicle title to include the full name of the owner(s), the make of the vehicle, the model of the vehicle, any lien information for the vehicle, and the Vehicle Identification Number.

This way in the case of sale, theft, or transfer of ownership, your name can be tied to your vehicle.

What Types of Vehicle Titles Are There?

There are many kinds of titles around that can apply to campers. These various title types depend on important information like the current state of the camper and its past sale experience.

This list is not exhaustive but will provide information on the most common titles you will come across while working with campers.

•           Clean: Clean titles are granted to cars, trailers, or campers that have never been totaled. They do not need significant repairs.

•           Clear: Clear titles are given to vehicles or trailers that do not have any liens or debts outstanding against them.

•           Salvage: Salvage titles are given to campers, trailers, or vehicles that have been damaged in a “total loss.” You may have difficulties insuring your camper if it has a salvage title.

•           Rebuilt or Reconstructed: Rebuilt or reconstructed titles are granted to campers, cars, or trailers that were totaled or damaged but have since been rebuilt to the point that they can safely be used again.

Usually, you have to have a safety inspection performed before you can obtain a rebuilt or reconstructed title.

Do Campers Need Titles in Wisconsin?

Most campers do need titles within the state of Wisconsin. Campers that need titles usually also need to be registered if you intend to take them on the road.

There is a significant exemption to this rule that applies to campers, though.

•           Collapsible camper trailers that weigh 3,000 pounds or less do not need to be titled or registered in Wisconsin. This would largely apply to small pop-up campers.

If you have a pop-up camper in Wisconsin and you plan to use the exemption to avoid titling and registering your camper, it is important to take into account any out-of-state traveling you intend to do with your camper.

Many states will still require pop-up campers to be registered, so you will want to be prepared before taking your pop-up camper there.

Final Thoughts

Wisconsin State has simple procedures in place to obtain a title for a camper if you do not already have one.

If the camper is already in your position and the title has been destroyed or lost, you will need to apply for a replacement title.

You can do this by completing an application online or through the mail.

If you purchased a camper that does not have a title you will need to apply for a surety bonded title and pay for the bond for your camper.

Get your camper titled and registered and hit the road in Wisconsin!


Mike Gilmour

Hi, I'm Mike, co-founder, and editor of RV and Playa. My passion is traveling (with my RV) and enjoying the day at the beach (Playa)! Well, I originally created this blog as a way to share what I've learned by experimenting with the RV lifestyle, and I want to help others develop in life through new skills and opportunities.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!