Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In Pennsylvania?

Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In PA

Have you ever wondered if you could get a duplicate car title the same day in PA? Well, look no more. We´ve got you covered.

Losing your original car title may sound like the end of the world but it doesn’t have to be as stressful as it seems.

If you live in Pennsylvania, you can quickly and easily replace your vehicle’s lost, damaged, or stolen title in as little as a day. Don’t know where to begin? Start by reading here!

So, can you get a duplicate car title the same day in PA? Yes, you can replace a lost, stolen, or damaged car title the same day in Pennsylvania by applying for a Duplicate Certificate of Title by Owner at your local Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles. As long as you apply with the right documentation, they should be able to issue you a certified copy within the same day.

Don’t let a lost car title ruin your day. Here, we’ll explain everything you need to know to replace it before the end of the day.

We’ll walk you through what you should prepare in advance and explain some possible complications you might face along the way.

How to Get a Duplicate Car Title in the Same Day in Pennsylvania

If you immediately need a duplicate copy of your car title, start by heading down to your local Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles (PaDMV).

The PaDMV is currently only accepting appointments for new drivers hoping to take their licensing test, so prepare to wait in line as a walk-in customer.

You will need to fill out Form MV-380 (Application of Duplicate Certificate of Title By Owner), which you can find online or ask for at your local PaDMV regional service center. Additionally, prepare the following documents ahead of time for smooth processing:

  • A government-issued photo ID matching your registration information on file
  • A check, money order, or cash valued at $58.00
  • A formal letter verifying your vehicle’s release from lien or a letter of signature from the lienholder if your vehicle is still under lien

As soon as the PaDMV can verifying your information, they will process your application and print off an official Duplicate Certificate of Title. Retain a copy of Form MV-380 for your personal records.

Read also: How Long Does It Take To Get a Duplicate Title In NY (Real FACTS)

How to Get a Duplicate Car Title if You Cannot Access a PaDMV Service Center

Although many Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicle regional service centers have reopened for walk-in customers, some locations throughout the state remain closed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

If you live far away from the nearest PaDMV, you will not be able to replace your lost or damaged car title in a single day. Instead, you must apply by mail.

When applying by mail, you should prepare all of your documents before mailing off the application. This will prevent any delays and guarantee that you get your duplicate copy on time. Print off and prepare:

  • A Form MV-380 (Application of Duplicate Certificate of Title By Owner), signed by all current owners on file
  • A government-issued photo ID for all current owners on file
  • A check, money order, or cashier’s check valued at $58.00; DO NOT mail cash to the PaDMV
  • A formal letter signed by your lienholder authorizing the duplicate copy if your vehicle is under lien

After you have prepared and sealed your documents, address the shipping envelope to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at 1101 South Front St. in Harrisburg, PA, 17104.

Please note, though, that applying through the mail could take up to four months to process. Therefore, you must prepare your documents accordingly.

Possible Complications and Special Circumstances

You may have to prepare additional documents depending on your situation. If you are a car dealer or a lienholder, continue reading to learn how you can replace a lost, damaged or stolen car title in a single day.

You Hold a Lien on a Vehicle

If you currently hold a lien on a vehicle and wish to make a duplicate copy of the vehicle’s title, you’ll need to fill out and submit form MV-38L.

You can also use this form to edit the lien information or to add, remove, or renew an existing lien. Depending on which services you require, you’ll have to pay a different fee:

  • Duplicating the car title – $58.00
  • Record a new lien – $86.00 to add a lien and duplicate the title; you will also need a notarization
  • Renew a lien – $28.00 if you do not request a new title; $86.00 if you request a new title
  • Remove a lien – $58.00 to issue a new, clean title

You can find more details on these prices at the bottom of the form.

You Are a Registered Car Dealer

If you have registered the vehicles as a dealer with the intent to sell them, you will have to replace any lost or damaged titles using form MV-38D.

You will pay the same $58.00 fee as a car owner and should prepare the same documentation.


Don’t panic if you’ve lost your original car title. Simply head to your nearest PaDMV with the appropriate documents and they can replace it for you in a single day.

However, if your vehicle is registered in a different state, you will have to apply for a certified duplicate in that state via the mail.


Mike Gilmour

Hi, I'm Mike, co-founder, and editor of RV and Playa. My passion is traveling (with my RV) and enjoying the day at the beach (Playa)! Well, I originally created this blog as a way to share what I've learned by experimenting with the RV lifestyle, and I want to help others develop in life through new skills and opportunities.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!