Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In NC (North Carolina)

Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In nc north carolina

Whether you want to sell your car, renew the tags, or register it to an additional owner, you’ll need your car’s title. Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world where car titles go missing, or worse, are damaged and destroyed.

However, if you’re to replace your car title, you’re in luck. North Carolina residents can request a duplicate title on the same day!

So, can you get a duplicate car title the same day in North Carolina? Yes, as long as you have all the necessary documents and have paid off all liens against your vehicle, you can request a duplicate car title at your nearest North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles regional service center.

They can approve your request on the spot and issue you a certified replacement in the same afternoon.

For help figuring out which documents you’ll need, keep reading to find our in-depth explanation of everything you’ll need to know before applying for a duplicate car title in North Carolina.

We’ll simplify the process and even advise you on what to do if you’re no longer in the state.

So, before you panic, let us help!

How to Get a Duplicate Car Title in the Same Day in NC

The fastest way to get a duplicate car title is by requesting one in person at your nearest North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) office.

They can verify your identity on the spot, pull up your records, and print out a certified copy on the same day. However, be prepared to deal with the typically long DMV wait times.

When you arrive, you should come with a completed Form MVR-4 (Application for a Duplicate Title). Ideally, you should print this form off at home and fill it out in the presence of a notary, as it needs to be notarized before you can submit your application.

The notarization process can take time, though, so plan accordingly if you are in a hurry.

Additionally, you’ll need to prepare the following documents:

  • A current government-issued photo ID to verify your identity
  • Your vehicle’s license or registration number
  • Any information pertaining to past or existing liens against your vehicle
  • Your damaged title for forfeiture if applicable

If your vehicle currently has a lien against it, you will also need a letter of authorization from the lienholder, signed and printed on formal letterhead to verify the duplicate title.

If you wish to have the lien released, you can submit a letter of release with your application.

The standard price for a duplicate car title is $20.00, made payable in the form of a check, money order, or cash.

If you wish the expedite the process, you can pay $98.00 for instant verification, helping to secure your certified copy within the same day.

How to Request a Duplicate Car Title if You Have Moved Out of State

If you have moved across state lines and cannot reach a North Carolina DMV, you can request a duplicate car title by submitting your application through the mail or online.

Be warned, though, applying online or by mail will take longer than applying in person. I.E., if you are in a hurry, you won’t be able to get a certified copy on the same day.

You must prepare the same documents as listed above but take extra care to fill out the information correctly. Have all currently listed owners sign the application and provide copies of their photo ID to streamline the application process.

If there are any mistakes on your Form MVR-4, the application may be denied, causing delays up to 3 or 4 weeks.

Furthermore, the NCDMV will only accept payment in the form of a check or money order if you apply through the mail.

They will not accept cash sent through the mail. However, if you apply online, you can pay using a credit/debit card or an e-check.

Correcting Errors or Updating Your Title

If your car title is out-of-date or you need to correct some of the information on it, use this as an opportunity to update the address and owners.

You can submit these changes through your Form MVR-4 and cover the expense while also receiving a duplicate title.

If you want to add or remove names, though, you’ll have to submit an addition Form MVR-5 (Corrected or Substituted Title Application).

You must also complete this form in the presence of a notary and have it stamped before it can be accepted.


Even if you’ve lost or damaged your car title, you can still transfer ownership or renew the tags by requesting a duplicate copy at your local NCDMV.

If you can provide the proper documents and arrive with a notarized Form MVR-4, the DMV can approve your request on the same day and issue a certified copy without any hassle.


Mike Gilmour

Hi, I'm Mike, co-founder, and editor of RV and Playa. My passion is traveling (with my RV) and enjoying the day at the beach (Playa)! Well, I originally created this blog as a way to share what I've learned by experimenting with the RV lifestyle, and I want to help others develop in life through new skills and opportunities.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!