IKEA mattresses do not currently appear to be Certipur certified, a label which means a product has been voluntarily tested and certified safe to use. However, IKEA has a very strict policy when it comes to the materials it will use in its furnishings, and so their mattresses may still be safe for use despite not being certified by Certipur.
In the following article, we look at whether IKEA mattresses are Certipur certified and look in more depth at what exactly this label means.
Are IKEA mattresses Certipur certified?
IKEA mattresses do not seem to currently be Certipur certified. At the moment, IKEA’s website does not list any of its mattresses as certified by Certipur.
The Certipur website also does not list IKEA among the retailers it currently has certified. For this reason, it should be assumed that IKEA mattresses are not certified.
This is not to say that IKEA mattresses are harmful. Compared with other brands manufacturing and selling furnishings like mattresses, IKEA has one of the most stringent policies when it comes to the materials it uses, as we will discuss in more detail further down.
The Certipur certified label indicates that a product has been submitted for voluntary testing and certification of the materials used in the manufacturing process, and many manufacturers and brands use it to provide customers with some peace of mind that their products are healthy and safe for use.
Are IKEA mattresses safe?
IKEA mattresses are generally considered to be safe to purchase and sleep on. IKEA claim that they use the safest materials and chemicals available, and only use them when it is entirely necessary.
This might mean that fire retardants are used when the law requires it, or that certain chemicals are used to protect the safety of the customer.
Many people happily recommend IKEA mattresses to anyone who might be looking to purchase a generally safe and healthy mattress.
The fact that IKEA is open about the materials they use in their products and try where they can avoid anything toxic and potentially harmful means that many people consider IKEA a fairly safe manufacturer of mattresses.
Do IKEA mattresses contain non-toxic materials?
IKEA mattresses don’t typically contain toxic materials, as IKEA is strict on the chemicals and materials it will use.
Part of IKEA’s manufacturing policy states that they use as few toxic materials as possible. Ikea has a list of substances and materials that limit the use of as much as is possible.
Some of the materials IKEA limits include:
- Brominated flame retardants, which are man-made chemicals usually used to decrease flammability in a product. They are often used in textile products like mattresses.
- ‘CMR’ substances. ‘CMR’ refers to any substance which can be a carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic to reproduction. These substances can have serious and long-lasting effects if used incorrectly.
- Heavy metals like lead and mercury, which are often used in foam products like mattresses.
- Formaldehyde may be used in very small amounts to preserve the mattress.
- Azo dyes, which are synthetic colourings used in printing and textiles. They can be dangerous when they are used incorrectly or in the wrong capacity.
- Any material which gives off high VOCs, which mattresses give off and can be harmful in high quantities.
Compared with many other retailers of mattresses, IKEA makes a concerted effort to attempt to cut back on the amount of potentially harmful chemicals and materials they use in their products.
In fact, their policy on such materials goes beyond the government standard. For this reason, many people recommend IKEA as a substitute for traditional retailers.
What is Certipur?
Certipur is a testing programme which checks the foam used in upholstery like mattresses. A Certipur-Certified mattress has been thoroughly tested and certified safe for purchase.
This means the mattress is free from certain flame retardants, formaldehyde, heavy metals, phthalates, and emits low VOCs into the air.
The Certipur-Certified label is generally used by manufacturers and brands to indicate that a product is healthy and safe for use, containing no harmful materials.
However, it does not mean that the product is perfect, as materials like chemical fire retardants may still be used to meet industry standards. Instead, it means the mattress has been deemed safe for use.
Does a mattress need to be Certipur certified?
As we have seen with IKEA mattresses, a mattress does not need to Certipur certified in order to be considered safe and healthy for use.
The certification is likely to help a lot of customers who may be concerned with how their mattress has been manufactured, but a mattress can also be perfectly safe and healthy for use without the certification.
Pros and cons of a mattress being Certipur certified
- The Certipur certification can provide peace of mind to anyone who is concerned about the materials and chemicals used to manufacture their mattress. Anyone who is worried about the use of toxic and dangerous materials in their mattress is likely to find some comfort from the Certipur certification.
- As the Certipur testing and certification are voluntary, customers may be impressed by the effort of a brand to go through the testing involved. Some might feel that it shows the brand cares about what they are using to manufacture their products, which can make some customers more likely to make a purchase.
- Although the Certipur certification can provide comfort to anyone concerned with the safety of the materials in a mattress, it’s worth bearing in mind that the certification doesn’t mean a mattress is perfect. Some materials may still be included in the manufacturing process for safety reasons.
It seems that IKEA mattresses are not currently Certipur certified, meaning they have not gone through the voluntary testing it takes to earn the label.
However, this doesn’t necessarily mean that IKEA mattresses are unsafe, as the brand is typically strict about what materials and chemicals they will use in their mattresses.
Tempurpedic is one of leading mattress brands that advertise a comfortable sleeping experience and a mattress that meets all your needs. Meanwhile, CertiPur promises the polyurethane foam components...
Most memory foam mattresses include fiberglass to provide a fire retardant barrier that keeps you safe while you sleep. Although there are some benefits to fiberglass, fiberglass is very dangerous...