How To Get a Title For a Camper Without Title In Alabama (Step By Step!)

How To Get a Title For a Camper Without Title In alabama

Do you know how to get a title for a camper without a title in Alabama? this is one of the questions our readers ask a lot. Well, we´ve got you covered.

Taking your camper out into nature is a great way to get away from the business of life.

You must have your camper properly titled and registered so you can spend more time exploring and less time dealing with paperwork and red tape.

What if your camper does not have a title? If you are in Alabama, you will need to either get a replacement title or a surety bonded title.

To get a replacement title for a camper without title in Alabama you need to follow the below steps:

  • Submit an application for a replacement title to the Alabama Department of Revenue. This application can be filled out online or printed out and submitted in person or through the mail.
  • Collect any other documentation you need.
  • Pay the application fee.

Once you have submitted your application, you should have a new title arrive in just a few weeks.

What is a Vehicle Title?

A vehicle title is a document that can prove the legal ownership of a vehicle. Titles are generally issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles or Department of Revenue for each state.

They are granted to most vehicles and trailers. Some states have exceptions for which vehicles or trailers do not need to be titled.

In order to prove ownership, titles usually include the full name of the owner(s), the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the make and model of the vehicle or trailer, and the vehicle’s history.

What Types of Vehicle Titles are There?

Car titles are separated into various categories. The different kinds of vehicle titles change based on the history of the vehicle and the title. There are four common categories that you will encounter when titling a camper.

These four categories include:

  • Clean Title: A clean title is given to a vehicle that is safe to drive. It has never been totaled and is currently in good condition.
  • Clear Title: A clear title is assigned to a vehicle or trailer that has no liens against it and no outstanding debts. A title can be both clean and clear.
  • Salvage Title: A salvage title is given to a vehicle or trailer that has been totaled. If you are looking into a camper with a salvage title, you should know that vehicles with salvage titles can be difficult or costly to insure.
  • Rebuilt or Reconstructed Title: A rebuilt or reconstructed title is given to a vehicle that was considered totaled but has since been rebuilt and is now considered safe. You must have the vehicle or trailer inspected if you hope to get a rebuilt or reconstructed title.

Do Campers Need Titles in Alabama?

Yes, campers and all motor vehicles need titles in Alabama. There are a few exceptions to this rule.

  • A collapsible camping trailer that is over 20 years old does not need a title.
  • A camper owned by a resident of a state other than Alabama does not need an Alabama title. You should check with your state if this situation applies to you.
  • A motorhome that is more than 35 years old does not need to be titled.

If you are interested in title exemptions that apply to vehicles other than campers, you can check out this website.

How to Get a Replacement Camper Title in Alabama?

A camper may not have a title for many different reasons. Titles can be lost or destroyed. They can be forgotten during a move. Sometimes the owner does not have a title when they sell the camper.

The most common reason someone would need a new camper title would be if the camper was lost or destroyed. If that is the reason your camper has no title, you will need to obtain a duplicate or replacement title.

If you want to get a replacement title in Alabama, you have two options. To complete the process by mail or in-person:

1. Fill out an Application for Replacement Title. You can find the application here or by contacting your county’s Division of Motor Vehicles.

2. Bring the fees ($15) or mail the fee and your application to the Alabama Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division- Title Section. The address is:

PO Box 327669

Montgomery, AL


Keep in mind that you must use certified funds to pay the fee, so you cannot use a personal check. If you complete the application and submit it in person, you may need to bring your current driver’s license or identification.

If you do not want to fill out the application and mail it in or visit the Division of Motor Vehicles, Alabama will now let you fill out the application for a replacement title online.

1. Fill out the Application for Replacement Title at this link. You will need to register with an e-mail address or social account to use this service.

2. Pay the fee online. If you fill out your application online, you can pay the title fee with a credit card. There may be a small charge for paying with a credit card.

How to Get a Surety Bonded Title in Alabama?

Occasionally a camper will not have a title, because there was no title during the sale. It is best to avoid this situation whenever possible.

However, if you do find yourself with a new camper without a title, you can get a title through the State of Alabama. You will simply need to get a surety bonded title.

Surety bonded titles are more expensive and have some liability, so if you are interested in buying a camper and the seller does not have a title, it is best to encourage the owner to get a duplicate title before the sale is over.

A surety bonded title is a title that you combine with a bond to help support proof of your ownership. The bond amount you need will vary based on the camper you have and how old it is.

To apply for a surety bonded title in Alabama, you will need:

  • A bill of sale that has the VIN or the current registration
  • An insurance settlement

You can then apply for the surety bonded title online. You can apply for the surety bond online here. With a surety bonded title, your title will be “branded” in case another owner can prove ownership.

After a few years, though, you can contact the Alabama Division of Motor Vehicles and ask to have the brand removed from your title. Then you will have a clear title.

Title Application Items

If you need a replacement title or a surety bonded title, it is best to prepare as much information as possible before completing the application. This will help streamline the process. To fill out the application, you will need to know:

  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of your camper
  • The make of the camper
  • The model of the camper
  • The current odometer reading (if applicable)
  • The year of the camper
  • The paint color of the camper
  • The full name of the owner(s)
  • The mailing address of the owner(s)
  • Information about any lienholders (if applicable)

If you are unsure about any of this information, do not guess. Filling out this information incorrectly can slow down the processing time and delay your new title.

Furthermore, if your camper is currently titled and registered in another state, but you want to have it titled in Alabama, you will need to forfeit that registration before you can have the camper titled.

Do Campers Need License Plates in Alabama?

Yes, all campers and travel trailers need to have license plates in Alabama. The license plates for campers cannot be personalized and they cannot be transferred between owners.

You must pay a fee to register your camper and obtain the license plate. This costs $12.00 and the money is distributed to the Public Road and Bridge Fund.

You should also make sure your camper has:

  • Taillights
  • Brake lights
  • White light to illuminate the license plate
  • Mudflaps on the rear tires
  • Reflectors on the side and rear of the camper

Final Thoughts

It is important to have your camper properly titled before you take it on the road in Alabama. This will save you time, money, and hassle.

If you find that your camper does not have a title, do not worry, some methods can help you legally title your vehicle.

If you lost or damaged your camper title, you can simply file for a replacement title. This process is quick and will require information about the owner and the vehicle.

If you purchased a camper that does not have a title, you will need to apply for a surety bonded title. The bond amount will depend on the camper you have.

Once your camper is titled, make sure it has a proper license plate, and you are ready to hit the road.

Here are some of my favorite services, products, and Stores

Thank you for reading this article. I hope it helps you find the most recent and accurate RV, camping information. Here are some services, products, and Stores that I use and hope you´ll also find helpful.

There are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I´ll earn a small commission. But in all honesty, these are the exact what I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.

To see all my of most up-to-date recommendations, check out this resource that I made for you!


Mike Gilmour

Hi, I'm Mike, co-founder, and editor of RV and Playa. My passion is traveling (with my RV) and enjoying the day at the beach (Playa)! Well, I originally created this blog as a way to share what I've learned by experimenting with the RV lifestyle, and I want to help others develop in life through new skills and opportunities.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!