Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In Connecticut (Lost or Stolen!)

Can You Get A Duplicate Car Title The Same Day In ct Connecticut

If you’re planning to move out of state soon, you’ll need to secure all of your documents ahead of time, including your car title.

If you’re not sure where it is, you’ll need to replace it before you can register your vehicle in a new state.

Fortunately, you can request a certified duplicate on the same day if you live in Connecticut. Here’s how!

So, can you get a duplicate car title the same day in CT? Yes, you can request a duplicate car title at any Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles hub or regional service center. As long as you come prepared with the right documents, they can verify your request and issue the replacement in a single day.

Not sure what to bring with you when you apply? Keep reading to find out everything you should know about submitting a request for a duplicate car title in the state of Connecticut.

We’ll walk you through which documents you’ll need as well as what to do if you have already moved out of state.

How to Get a Duplicate Car Title in the Same Day in Connecticut

If you don’t have much time and need to replace your car title today, head on over to your nearest Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles regional service center to get started.

You won’t be able to schedule an appointment to request a duplicate title, though, so be prepared to stand in line before you’re served.

When you apply for a duplicate, you’ll need to complete Form H6B (Application for Replacement Certificate of Title).

You can request a copy from your local CtDMV office, but it’s best to print it off at home and fill it out ahead of time, as it must be notarized before you apply for a duplicate title. Additionally, you’ll need to prepare the following documents:

  • A current government-issued photo ID to verify your identity
  • Your vehicle’s license plate or registration number
  • Any information about past or current liens against your vehicle

If there are currently liens against your vehicle, you will have to provide a lien release letter or a letter authorizing the duplicate title.

These letters must be printed on formal letterhead and signed, including information about your vehicle’s make and model, identification number, and evidence that the lien has been fulfilled.

When you submit your application, you’ll also have to pay a $25.00 duplication fee, made payable in the form of a personal check, money order, cashier’s check, or cash.

The CtDMV will not accept credit or debit cards.

Caveats to the Law Regarding Car Titles in Connecticut

In Connecticut, you may not need to replace your vehicle’s title if the vehicle is older than 20 years old.

Under state law C.G.S. Title 14 Sec. 14-166, vehicles 20 model years or older do not require replacement titles. You can find more information on whether your vehicle is exempt here.

How to Apply for a Duplicate Car Title in Connecticut if You Have Moved Out of State

If you have already left the state, you will not be able to replace your lost or damaged car title in a single day. Instead, you should apply through the mail.

It will take longer than if you were to apply in person but, as long as you have your documents in order, you should be able to get a duplicate car title within 7 to 10 business days.

When submitting your application through the mail, be sure that all currently filed owners have signed the form and included photocopies of their IDs to prove their identities.

If you do not do so, the application may be sent back, causing delays of up to a few weeks.

Additionally, you cannot submit cash as payment through the mail. The CtDMV will only accept checks or money orders made out to the DMV.

Once everything is securely sealed in a shipping envelope, address your application to the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles Specialized Registry Services at 60 State St., Wethersfield, Connecticut, 06161

Once the CtDMV has verified your identity and processed your title, they will then issue a duplicate copy and have it sent to the address on file.

If you are not longer living at the address on file, you will have to request a change of address on Form H6B.


Moving can be a stressful time but don’t let a missing or damaged car title add to your worries.

You can request a duplicate car title by visiting your local Connecticut DMV or applying through the mail, if you’re in a hurry and need it on the same day, though, be sure to show up in person with all your documents in order.

Also, please note that you can only request a duplicate car title in the state you most recently registered your vehicle.

If you registered outside of Connecticut, you would have to submit your application through that state’s system.


Mike Gilmour

Hi, I'm Mike, co-founder, and editor of RV and Playa. My passion is traveling (with my RV) and enjoying the day at the beach (Playa)! Well, I originally created this blog as a way to share what I've learned by experimenting with the RV lifestyle, and I want to help others develop in life through new skills and opportunities.

Recent Posts

error: Content is protected !!